Tub pond adventure, right hand makes

The hot weather led to the water levels dropping in the tub pond we inherited in the garden. It was clear that there was hardly any room for water where it was choked with roots.
This is what the 1m diameter root ball looked like. I chopped a few bits worth saving from it, and tried to wrestle it into the wheelie bin. That is where things started to go wrong. I'm not in my 20s anymore so struggled. not only did I end up looking and smelling like a swamp beast from the dripping stagnant mud, but I sprained my wrist.
So feeble!

I've spent the last few days trying to do things just with my right hand, and going crazy in the 30+c heatwave.
Christmas Tree crochet lap quilt got a border in sock yarn. I felt it needed a zig zag finish in red so I used stash acrylic for that. All the other yarns have some wool in, so it is very cosy.
I can now officially say that I have used up my sock yarn!
Challenge won!

I was now bored so I crocheted an uninspiring 100% wool 50g ball.
I needle felted into it to create "Dreamtime".  It has curls at the edge, a feather earring I dug up on the banks of Lake Coniston years ago, silk fibres, angelina foil fibres, and lastly beads. When you walk past it it moves and glistens as if several layers of mist are creating a veil between worlds. Just the effect I wanted! 

However it wasn't what I had planned to do with my week. I had wanted to get more parcels made for charity. So I turned to my clothes. On Project Runway (big fan! -love Tim Gunn's gentlemanly manners) they referred to a collection for a season- 7 outfits with mix and match bits. A big click went off in my head. I had so many "it will do for now" clothes. Then there were the tatty things which didn't fit well, and the "I thought I would wear this more often but don't" and the "I remember when" heap. Don't get me started on the "I'll wear it one day when I'm that size, but I bought it because I love it" pile. 

Ahem.

So I whittled things down. I'm not saying that I want to feel like a goddess in everything I wear, (a lovely look when I'm up to my elbows in mud!) but everyone ought to have one outfit in a season which does that job. If you don't, you have my full permission to go into one of those lovely air conditioned shops to find one. However my catch is that first you have to fill a carrier bag of the ill fitting, don't wear, it'll do for now, tatty, clothes which are holding you to a past which doesn't fit the brand new you who woke up this morning. 

Fill a carrier bag for charity this week!

My morning coffee magpie was in her usual spot this morning. The thrushes and blackbirds have started eating the rowan berries. Everything is happening so incredibly early in this heat. I am so ready for Autumn rain and mists, wearing my Autumn Collection and my newly knitted socks. 

Please let me know how you get on with filling a bag for charity. I don't want to feel like I'm alone in my hoarderly ways. 

Comments

Ulla said…
I can't fill a bag this week because I filled one last week! It was those ill fitting, self-shrinking tops and trousers together with something from the men in the family. Two large bags with old curtains went too, and some thermos flasks, bowls and cups. It feels good to see the free space in the cupboards and closets.
Your Christmas tree blanket looks cosy, congratulations on getting rid of the sock yarns in such useful ways. I'm getting there, some day.
Jeanie said…
The lap quilt is really pretty but I'm so sorry because of your wrist. Sounds awful and I hope it is better soon. Ice helps!

Most of my charity bags go to Goodwill or a similar organization here like Salvation Army. It's pretty easy these days -- loads of clothes that are either the wrong size or my old working clothes, things I've had in the basement for years, books (those go to the library), just trying to purge and downsize. Last year we could take a tax deduction for such donations and mine came to over $1,100 when I itemized everything. There is SO much more to go...
Terri said…
Charity wouldn't want any of my clothes. I wear things for decades and they have holes and I still wear them. If I'm buying something made of fabric, it is quilting fabric.
Hugs
Deb said…
Ow ow ow, just a bag, I filled a Kleensak rubbish bag, lol. It was disgusting actually as so many of these clothes were in such good condition and like new but still if they are able to be sold on they will benefit a good charity.
I am also of the belief now not to keep clothes "for good". If I like it I wear it. Life's too short to just look at nice clothes,........... or shoes...............or handbags,............... well that's my excuse anyway.
Tracy said…
The tub pond looks so nice, Melanie! WOW... that is a BIG root ball... So sorry you ended up huring while dealing with it. :/ Hope your wrist will be on the mend soon! LOVE the Christmas tree blanket. Think winter thoughts on July, maybe that will help a heat/frazzled brain and body. ;) Hooray for your sock yarn challenge--well done! Your wooly dreamtime dreamcatcher is BEAUTIFUL! I just love that--very dreamy! I admire your wardrobe overhaul! I could do with turning my own over, and will do as we near autumn and change from summer clothes to cold weather clothes. I like the idea of a 7 outfits wardrobe. We have a box of this & that we're filling up of all sorts... it's amazing how much we hang on to! You are not alone... LOL!Thanks for the inspiration--as always! :) ((HUGS))

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress