Yarn Use-Up Week

This week I can share the tree mittens I made last week as my friend has received the pair I was able to make her from the leftovers of my own.
I can also share the cotton drawstring rucksack I’ve just finished. I had to buy an extra ball of white crafting cotton for it.

Most of the time has been spent on a Leonie Morgan 7” hexagon block called Grandma’s Motif. I ran out of dark grey so used up the rest of my dark green. Then I ran out of pale grey, so used up the rest of my white stash. When plain white ran out, I used sparkling white. With only 4 blocks to go I ran out of denim blue, so a scrap of teal blue stepped in. The border used up all the green and sparkling white. A great stash buster! The size and shape  means it can go on a table, be a tv blanket, or wrap around as a shawl. Useful!

My wrist is still recovering, these things take far too long now I’m older! I’ll get back to fabric as soon as I can. Am I the only one who has fallen in love with the coat from “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” film?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guernsey-Literary-Potato-Peel-Society/dp/1408895994
It is very like Clare Randall’s one from Outlander.
http://outlanderaddiction.com/2013/10/the-internet-is-blowing-up/
I can’t find a pattern to make my own though! I have asked Simplicity if they are planning to design one. The elegant lines of 1940s-50s clothing are beautiful. They are from a time when people expected their clothes to last years rather than just a season. When I go to the bother of making something I want to be able to wear it out.







Comments

Ulla said…
You are a real stash user! To me the beautiful coat looks almost like the red one you already made for yourself, just a little wider at the back.
Tracy said…
Yes, you are the Stash-Busting Queen Melanie! BEAUTIFUL projects! LOVE the knitted mitts!! ;) How sweet is your crocheted ruck sack!! Do you have a pattern link for that, or did you make it up as you went along? The Grandma Motif is lovely! This almost has a winter feel too, with the colors. I like the white border gently undulating around it--almost like a little path of snow. :) WONDERFUL coat idea! Hope Simplicity get back to you. Your red coat was already a triumph! I've never made a coat, or a jacket either, come to think of it. The advantage of making one's own is that you make it built to last. Not like so much ready-to-wear these days that's cranked out so fast and lucky if it last's a year! :/ Here's to making it all built to last! :))) Happy Crafting ((HUGS))
Willow said…
You are the stash knitter super hero! Love the gloves. And I love the 40s fashions, too. They're elegant but simple.
Deb said…
Your mittons are perfect and all of the crochet that you have been doing has certainly been shrinking your stash for sure.
That coat is absolutely stunning, a real 1920's style even a wee bit later. Maybe you could draft a pattern for yourself. You would need to make it in a beautiful quality wool and being as small as you are the coat style would look gorgeous on you. As the other girls said your long red coat is stunning on you. Yes I think that is your next project, pattern drafting and then "the coat". lol Then when you have made the coat you need to find an appropriate hat and roll your hair and dress Bryan up, book a carriage and do a whole reenactment. See what you have done to me, you've got this old imagination working over time, lol
Jeanie said…
That's a seriously complicated pattern and it will be just fabulous when completed! Love the coat too. Sigh. Good on you for using up the stash.
Love the tree mittens. And the coat is gorgeous but I would never be able to sew one myself ;)
Hope your wrist will be ok soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress