The Rest of 2019

I will rattle thorough these photos as quickly as I can. Lace socks for a friend. 
July 4th marked us being here for 3 years. I created this bed for the anniversary.
I gave these 2 cast iron cockerels to my Granny around 2000. She now has dementia and has gone into a care home. I was offered them back. They still had traces of the original bright colours I had painted them in for her. She loves bright colours still. I gave them a makeover in white hammerite paint for metal.
The seating in the picture above the last one, needed cushions for comfort so I made a set of 6 like this. 
Grey cotton socks for myself from Hanabira cardigan leftovers.
I went to Kate Humble (from Springwatch and Autumnwatch on TV) farm just the other side of the River Wye for a natural plant dyeing of yarn course. 
These were my results.
Christmas cones for a gift from felt.
Greyhounds in Need dog coat donation make.

 Crofters yarn was on sale. I made a beret and sock set for daughter.
 I made 2 pairs of the socks in blue for my husband and myself.
 I finished a beret in the same blue yarn while on a beach in Guernsey. Yes having read the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" I had to see the place for myself.
Plain red beret
 Felt Christmas Pudding House for a present.

 I realised I needed a big bag to keep yarn and associated tools in. So I measured the pouches I had and made pockets for a lining for a big bag.

 It turned out like this when full of acrylic yarn.
 This pouch was made from the left overs for the big pocket.
 Son had a beanie hat and socks made for him.
 Cosy rainbow socks which make me smile.
 These 2 came home with us in October when we were visiting Many Tears rescue for a dog to train as a support dog for Laura. I was looking at the little one when Lindy the Labrador came up to me and used a Jedi mind trick. "We are the dogs you are looking for." In a daze I went to my husband repeating that and saying that he HAD to meet this incredible Labrador. She is so like the Labrador he grew up with and so he said yes. The little one is a puggle (Beagle crossed with Pug) we now call Tink the Dink or even Tink the Tank when she is on a forest walk. I lost sight of her on one walk only to see her climb out of a boar wallow hole, shake herself and march on like Terry Pratchett's Luggage.

The volunteer then explained when I said we would take both that Tink slept on top of Lindy, so she hoped that they would find a home together. Even Sylvia the founder said to Tink as she was leaving that she was taking her hot water bottle with her.

Daughter named her pup Rupert. He's a harrier hound from an unwanted litter. He was the last left.

The last blog post is about how Many Tears Rescue is gathering things to go inside a shipping container to go to Antigua. Sylvia had the same experience on the island that I had on Cyprus with dogs roaming free unneutered and being hit by traffic. Like me her holiday turned into a helping rescues and finding out how best to help. The shipping container is being donated as is all the transport both ends. Its a one off opportunity to make a huge difference. Antigua being an island means that everything is more expensive so rescues struggle.

 Hat from daughter's donated yarn.
 That leftover rainbow Riot yarn made stripes in this granny blanket with turquoise and royal blue.
 A bag to hang in the back hallway to put gardening gloves in.
 Hat to match Husband's blue socks.
 I felt sorry for this charity shop chair. it had no others with it so I wasn't separating a set when I took it home.
 This was its under fabric. I smartened up the wood before making a new jolly cover for it.
 The new dogs settled in well. Rupert had a nap on one visit.
 Sadly December was Kit Marlowe's last month. He was a couple of weeks short of his second birthday. He loved show tunes, listening to things like Pitch Perfect and trips to the fridge for fresh vegetables. His brother Edward Lear is showing signs of his back legs not working effectively now. The vet said it is common in older rats. I've had Edward Lear out most evenings while I knit since then as they are sociable and intelligent critters.
 Aran for son for Christmas
 2 little robins for a Christmas tree secret santa.

Next time I'll bring the blog right up to date. The chair makeover will be revealed! It is so fun and jolly now!




Comments

Ulla said…
You have had a productive year in the garden as well as with your needles, crochet hooks and sewing machines.
Jeanie said…
You have been profoundly productive! Those socks make me smile. Nothing is better than home knit socks! And I love those felt cones. SO pretty. Lucky you with two new canine family members. I think they lucked out! And so nice that the tables you gave your Gran have come back to you!
Tracy said…
VERY much enjoying these backward glances, Melanie--what a year 2019! The garden bed you created for your move-in anniversary is beautiful--and what a great idea! LOVE all from that yarn dyeing! It is amazing to see all you created... And how WONDERFUL the two doggie additions to your family--how SWEET they are! LOVE how Tink is sitting on top of Lindy in that one photo. :) And how sweet with your daughter having a new pup friend too! So very sad you lost sweet Kit Marlowe... ((HUGS))

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress