End of year makes

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year!
Welcome to my naughty corner. This is where I sit when I have to rest up from overdoing things. The Tree of Life Afghan is the perfect companion to my oak and rowan cushions. This project was made with the very last balls we moved into the cottage with. Goal achieved! I have used up all my old yarn!
I tried to make Attic 24's Moorland blanket from stash yarn instead of her perfectly balanced yarn selections. A bit too much pink! Luckily son saw the sunny side this Christmas. He had it draped over him at his computer when I popped in to his house today. Yes he has moved out of here and is living with his sister who has finally joined us in the Forest! I am so happy that we are all together again less than a mile apart.
Lily Pond leftovers made these little mug hugs, Buttons from stash. Son didn't know what they were initially so tried a wrist and an ankle. I really wish I had photos of that! Chortle!

I've been trying to finish bits up to start the New Year with fresh ideas.
5 cotton cleaning cloths saw the end of the cone of crafting cotton. Having read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book, I don't like waste. The island was cut off during the war for several years so they really did learn to manage on less. I admire that. Being based in England, I may have to get used to that while Brexit gets sorted. The characters in the story feel like friends. I think it is the best book I read this year. Try it yourself! Its an easy fiction read in a series of letters, so fast paced. I found myself at the stove stirring thinking "just one more letter" so many times. Can someone write a sequel please? 

I admired the costumes in the film of the same name. The berets appealed as something suitable for the current season.
I made this vintage beret to see how the shaping worked. Sadly it will only fit a child. 
This vintage crochet beret with a chrysanthemum instead of a bobble was bigger but I want a really really floppy one. 

Now for my big announcement!
Drumroll...

I have finished every envelope background I was given for Cathedrals over a decade ago. That huge bag is no more! The quilt was donated to charity, and I've made some charity cushion covers from the leftovers. These are the last of them.





There were 6 remaining yellow envelopes which made this cup and biscuit mat. The very last of the remaining pieces which could be sewn together.
You wouldn't believe how free I feel now! 

I went through my knitting and quilting magazines and made a list of the things I liked in each. I also added some Crabapple Studio patterns to my 2019 list. 

Best of all I have found a new way of getting photographs from my ipad onto my blog. It isn't perfect but better than Google Photos. I still have to arrange them on my computer after loading and put the text in then too. An improvement! Not being technical, I will take what I can. 

I hope you all have a happy settled and fulfilling 2019. 

Comments

Ulla said…
The afghan is beautiful and looks very stylish with the cushions and the chair. The other afghan is pretty too and will be perfect for keeping your son warm. Well done with the huge cathedral projects! Both berets are lovely, but I know from experience how difficult it can be to get the size right.
I wonder how long your list for 2019 is by now, and how long it will be at the end of the year!
Terri said…
Yes, I bet that is a really long list.
Love all your makings. The white afghan just proves you overwork yourself. What a gorgeous thing. Looks so comfy.
And the quilts! The cathedral window isn't the easiest pattern... and you make a bunch of them. Love the blue and rust colored one.
Take a leaf out of my playbook, take a nap now and again. It's good for you.
Great hearing from you.
Hugs
Wow! You have been busy! I love the white afghan! And the berets. I read that book, too and loved it.
Christmas has been good, a full house and plenty laughs.
I have plans for 2019 - several wisps that are going to see daylight again. I also plan to post on my blog more often, if Blogger permits.
I have a new ipad and hope that will help. But I don’t get comments posted to my email anymore - can you remember what to do about that?
Wishing you a great new year!

Tracy said…
Hi, Melanie... Happy New Year! Your Tree of Life blanket is STUNNING... simply gorgeous!! :))) As are all your other makes... Those berets are wonderful! And well done for closing the Cathedrals chapter of your life. ;) Like you, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie was my favorite read of 2018, perhaps one of my all time fave reads ever! Reading that book really opened my eyes to the struggles a war brings to people, but what triumphs too! I learned so much from that book, still am... I keep thinking about the characters, and wish there was more too! Now post-Christmas and travels, it feels too to settle into the possibilities of this new year. I've been listing, writing things down and dreaming a little. :) Wishing you a year of dreams come true! ((HUGS))

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress