March Catch Up

 The weather has been glorious in the Forest. This is the River Wye at Redbrook.
 Not all events have been happy this month sadly. My stepfather George passed in his sleep from small cell lung cancer. I made an angel to go in his coffin. He was in the Merchant navy in his youth, so the dress is of the ocean and the background glitters with stars. A little bird symbolises Scotland as Bonnie Prince Charles couldn't be referred to by name during the Jacobite Uprisings, so he is a bird in many songs.
 An art shop in Ross where I buy my £1.99 hardback journals is closing down at the end of the month. I bought up all I could and made covers for them.  Yep I've stockpiled! The other places seem to want £7.20 or more for the same sort of thing. 
Laurel Burch was one of my favourite designers. I really enjoyed using some of my long term stroke-ables as book covers. 
 I finished the 100% 4 ply black lambswool cardigan at last! 
 Its from a vintage design and due to the fine yarn became known as the Cobweb cardi. It has taken ages!
 Daughter has learned how to crochet granny squares. With EDS Fibromyalgia and something else I can't remember, her joints swell easily, so she was finding knitting tough. 
 So I made her a little nautical bag which can fit in her rucksack enough for a 100g ball project. 
 And a matching roll to put hand friendly crochet hooks in. 
 Another lady with arthritic hand issues saw her hooks at the craft club she has started running, and tried them. She has ordered a set for herself. I do like it when something as simple as a non slip wide handle can help a crafter to carry on doing something they love. Do any of you have any fav tips/tricks?
 The nest of tables I shared before now has a couple of mats for those meals in front of the TV in an armchair evenings. I used a wadding suitable for oven gloves so no heat is transferred to the wood. They came from offcuts from the curtains and guitar amp covers, in 2 Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady fabrics.  
Some presents have been made this month. This folding needles/ scissors/ pens, and pins case is from a Sue Spargo design. 

 Stylecraft Life is 25% wool so warm and wont go stringy like a 100% acrylic yarn will. It was a pleasure to make this set. A little leather key ring seemed the right accessory.
 Sorry about the bad photos, but these penguins and snowflakes are in the correct colours here. I folded the quilt to get all the little guys in one family portrait.
 When I placed the single bed sized quilt out in the garden, the photo unfortunately was very lilac. 
 I almost forgot about this vintage coat and beret in a vintage charity shop yarn! They are aged 4 so will go into the One Day Trunk. 
 Looking forward, I want to make this  vintage re-released blouse in this French General fabric. It is one I have adored for years, so I felt very lucky finding somewhere which had some meters of it. You may recognise it from the Valentine Quilt outer border in the last post. (Those were left over strips from a previous star quilt.)


It feels like a strange time for me right now. I've been in limbo for the 3 weeks between George dying to him being buried. It shouldn't take that long yet somehow English funerals do these days. It's made me consider what should happen when it's my time. I don't want the pomp and ceremony or being stared at in death any more than I would in life. I don't think the children would cope with all the arrangements expected by those who stand to make money from the rite of passage. When I read about a "straight to cremation" option, it felt right for me. Our family is little and private. The children being able to take my ashes to the places I've been happiest and then go for an informal pub lunch is far more our style. I know that everyone is different and there are a myriad of ceremonies available for every religion/school of thought. It just surprised me that there was an option for a quiet individual in an age where so much (like this blog) is public. 

I keep thinking of the colour blue.

The Tom Denny window in Gloucester Cathedral which bathes the little side chapel and you in blue light.
Blue woad dye.
Blue sea/marine life.
Blue gems and beads.
Blue moods.
Blue denim.
Blue stocking and other expressions. 

I think an idea is brewing among that assorted lot!

Comments

Ulla said…
At a time of loss we all seem to have blue moods for a long time. Your new knittings and the sweet penguins, book covers, bag and crochet hook holders show once again how much you get done even when you are not 100 %.
Terri said…
Sorry to hear about your Step-Dad.
I think you have the right idea for your passing. I would want the least fanfare, too.
Your makings are fantastic. What an amazing sweater.
Hugs
Deb said…
Isn't it funny what triggers thoughts. Over the past 6 mths I have lost 2 very close friends, a sister in law and another sisterinlaw has just gone into end of life care.
At the 1st funeral we went to all of our group of friends (including no 2 person) were discussing what we wanted when we go, and we all said NO Funeral. Cremate us straight away, then let the family left decide what they want to do, whether go out for dinner or have a party , whatever. Anyway No.2 friend passed suddenly and thats what her husband did, she wanted to be cremated straight away and no funeral. So because he and their 2 boys found it a bit hard as did her Mum they just had a lovely memorial afternoon and afternoon tea.Still a bit formal for me but everyone to their own. I think so many people are aware of costs these days also.
Anyway love all your knitting and sewing as always. xx
Jeanie said…
I know George's death was expected, but that doesn't always make it easier (sometimes harder) and I'm so sorry for your loss. The Angel is beautiful and I think he would love knowing that this is there for him, to comfort and be with him. That is a long time to wait between death and funeral.

You have been busy, to be sure. Those are loads of project, quite a lot of output and beautiful at that. I, too, love Laurel Burch fabrics (and just about anything Laurel Burch). And what a find on the journals. I love the covers. They look terrific. It all does, Melanie.

I think I should like to have a quiet passing without the stress of a funeral and then if Rick wants to do something else like a memorial or life celebration when he's had time to process, then great. I like your idea.
Tracy said…
So NICE to find your big catch up here, Melanie... though VERY sorry to hear about the loss of your stepfather...how lovely the angel to go with him ((HUGS))... Like you, we feel a "straight to cremation" option at the end is for us. We have no children at all, so goodness knows what will happen to us... LOL! Planning head, while maybe not easy, is best for families, I think. BEAUTIFUL makes, as always! LOVE the vintage-style cardigan! The Penguins & Stars quilt is just sooo sweet! Love the frosty colors! Oooo...can't wait to see your vintage-style blouse--love that fabric for it! And blue seems the perfect color as we wake up from the whites and greys of winter. :) Happy Spring Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress