Corona Bunting

 Hello friends. You know how colour makes me happy especially rainbows of colour, well I've had an idea for us crafters while we are having minimum contact outside our homes. Why not make a bunting flag a day from stash to lift our spirits? Then when this corona virus has run its course we will have bunting to hang in celebration. An act of hope!

I don't think everyday families have ever had to face something like this since the war. We could lose vulnerable family members. The women back then were encouraged to be thrifty and cheerful. They had to carry on in spite of the fear. They had to be so inventive with few resources. We are luckier. We have the internet and can skype chat. TVs and electronic entertainment are the norms within our homes. We aren't having to crowd around a radio to hear the news. Us crafters are telling one another what it is like near us. We are supporting one another. We will get through this.
 Jelly roll rainbow
 A real rainbow
 The jelly roll rainbow was going to be the cover for this cut off bit of mattress, but I went tasteful instead so the cushions I made last year could be used with it. Blue batik piping, Laurel Burch birds and plain cream. I put in a velcro fastening. It looks a bit tall but being memory foam I'm hoping it will press down a bit in time.
 Some more happy. I have started re buying my childhood Sindy and Barbie things. It's not bad as mid life crises go and better than me wearing leather trousers and buying a huge motor bike. This doll is a copy of the one who accompanied me to America as a kid. I've missed her!
 My last pair of socks for the season have been finished.
 I've started making this for my husband. I'm going to try to do as much as possible before the hole in my shoulder gets fixed on the 7th.
So fellow crafters, think about the stash bunting idea and tell me how you plan to stay sane while the world is going nuts.

Comments

Ulla said…
The bunting may not be my thing, but I could keep knitting socks until we are free to go anywhere again! My stash of yarn could keep me going quite a while.
Your knitting pattern is beautiful and beyond my skills. Twisting and turning stitches never seems to go right when I try.
Tracy said…
LOVELY post, Melanie! LOVE all the hope and cheer here! It's a crazy time in the world, and we nee all the hop and cheer we can muster! The bunting idea is very fun... I wish I had more stash to join in on that one I have more yarn stash than fabric stash these days. So I'll be knitting away over here... Your jelly roll rainbow is as stunning as the real deal in the sky...Fun to see all your makes and what's to come (the Aran jumper for your husband is going to be fabulous...love that tweedy yarn!) And such FUN finding the dolls of your childhood to enjoy again! Thanks for sharing the fun! Here's to use all as we keep well, and keep calm... ((HUGS))
Jeanie said…
You're right, Melanie. We haven't seen something like this in our contemporary, first-world society since WWII. Actually, my world hasn't changed much, except the ability to just go where I want, when I want. But definitely stretching my creative muscles!

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress