April Fools Day -update

I woke up this morning hoping that Corona was all some kind of joke. When this first started I would wake thinking the world was normal for a few moments before this new reality hit. My mindset has changed! My subconscious has accepted this new reality. I’m 18 days into social distancing and 9 days into lockdown. This acceptance has taken a while! lol

I’ve been keeping busy working on the house. The new lighting is in the right position in the craft room. We've been taking advantage of our bedroom being almost empty above to get those long put off tasks done.


I’ve started making cardigans for my 4 Arthur Ransome dolls. 2 down 2 to go.


They also have a second bag for their accessories. Oh yes 2020 is the year I’m trying to get more organised!

Out of left over 4 ply from socks, I’ve been making Sindy and Barbie things. It’s very satisfying to use up the small amounts of left over yarn. Nothing was wasted in the war, and this current war is against an invisible enemy.
 Groovy! Love it! The very last bit of coral yarn went on the hats. You can see just how little there was left over. even I couldn't think of something practical from that.

Of course I wanted to make a bag for their clothes too. I chose a child like fun fabric and lined it in a couple of FQs which had been lingering for a while.

I had a few scrap strips of a beautiful blue, and a small strip of warm and natural batting, so it was very satisfying to make this scrappy mat.

I’m still making a flag a day on my corona bunting. It will joyfully hang in the garden when this is over. I like the routine of knowing I will sit at the sewing machine for a few minutes each day. As lockdown continues, I think routine will become more important.

The children weren’t prepared for lockdown in their house, let alone son’s girlfriend announcing that she had corona. She rang the nhs and was taken to hospital by ambulance but released with a mask later that day, we’ll enough not to need a hospital bed. She was told to socially isolate herself from son and daughter for 14 days. Daughter is particularly vulnerable to corona so it was very important. Girlfriend, being in her early 20s, is bored confined to one room in the 2 bedroom bungalow. Son has been sleeping on a mattress in the living room. She wants to come out after less than a week!

It’s very worrying that she would consider going against medical advice and putting Daughter at risk. She was only meant to be staying in the house (Daughter wasn’t asked!) for a week in January but she has been there ever since! I would so like her to fly back to her own country where she is the responsibility of her parents. Her attitude is too dangerous. Her using all their fresh milk for her milkshakes pales into insignificance. She has no concept of rationing what food and drink they have!

So far the children have no symptoms. They were running short of food a few days ago and only through luck secured a delivery slot for 9th April. There is no guarantee that the items they have ordered will be in stock to be delivered. We had to step in. I had a little stockpile because of the uncertainty over Brexit, so organised to meet them in the forest. It was a bit of a checkpoint Charlie situation. They came from one side and us the other. We dropped the bag of food and uht milk and backed away. They then came forward, picked up the bag and backed off. It was all very tense. They assured us that they were well for now and had enough food for their dogs. I don't know when I will see them again.

Afterwards we text chatted about how we should have been wearing big hats, glasses, trench coats, adopted silly walks and spoke in foreign accents. It’s so good to laugh together. Thank goodness we can still text and Skype. It is such a luxury!  Even Granny’s nursing home is letting relatives have Skype appointments. That was a real joy this week! When Granny’s father was a prisoner of war, she and her mother had to rely on part filled in Red Cross cards every 6 months to know he was still alive. He is the acrobat on the top of the pyramid. They used to do this on motorbikes before the war and petrol rationing.

We are so lucky to have the Internet to keep in touch. So do keep in touch. You never know what a difference an email, Skype or telephone call can make to a person in isolation. We will get through this but I fear the world will be changed from what we knew. We will be less innocent and taking things for granted less. Like our grandparents, maybe we will learn to make the most of what we have and be less consumeristic? I hope we will be kinder to one another.





Comments

Ulla said…
Those tiny garments are the perfect thing to use yarn rests for. The bag will be useful for them, nice fabric for it.
Jeanie said…
I can only imagine your concern for your daughter under those circumstances, Melanie. But you are doing the right thing in keeping the distance. We'll all have to learn to sacrifice a little bit of freedom, of space, of food and so much more. But it is the wise and right thing to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Forest and Makings

Horace the Gargoyle and Cottage Makes

Work In Progress